Quest Gaming Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can it run Skyrim??

4 posters

Go down

Can it run Skyrim?? Empty Can it run Skyrim??

Post  errie806 Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:48 am

Well guys here's the deal. I'm a hardcore console gamer. However, I JUST got my brand spanking new laptop. I've always wanted to make a foray into the pc gaming world, but the powerful rigs are just way out of my price. I have a Lenovo Y570 with an i7 quad core 8gb ram and a 1gb GDDR5 Nvidia GT 555m. I hear about all these free DLC on the show and how much more beautiful the game is. Do you think its worth getting skyrim on the PC when I have it on the box already? I'm not sure if i can run this at max graphics. Is it worth that jump? How big is the difference in graphics between xbox and pc (if the pc is on medium to high settings NOT max)

errie806
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Can it run Skyrim?? Empty Re: Can it run Skyrim??

Post  Minus2Degrees Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:03 am

Sounds like a pretty sweet system to me, for a laptop.

Specs like that are more than enough to run the game; I'm not sure how well it will fare under Ultra settings, but anything over Medium is going to look insanely good compared to a console, even without the fancypants HD texture mods.
Minus2Degrees
Minus2Degrees
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the2belo/

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Wilson Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:23 am

the graphics card isnt much but you shoulod run the game on hi easy and that in itself looks a lot better then on xbox360. its always worth it if you intrested in checking out all the mods and such. Smile
Joe Wilson
Joe Wilson
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Riviter Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm thinking about upgrading so I can run in Ultra. Right now I take a pretty hard hit when I run at High above 1280x720. Where do you guys feel you get the most performance increase for the money. CPU, Video Card, or Memory? I am thinking about upgrading my video card and memory. Don't want to upgrade to a new processor (I have a 3.16Ghz Duel Core) because that would drive a motherboard upgrade.

Riviter
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post  Minus2Degrees Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Riviter wrote:Don't want to upgrade to a new processor (I have a 3.16Ghz Duel Core) because that would drive a motherboard upgrade.

I'm in the same boat (Core2Duo 3.6GHz that I've overclocked to 4.2GHz thanks to a heatsink the size of the Chrysler Building). I didn't want to have to upgrade everything in my case, so luckily I had the foresight last year of upgrading to 8GB RAM (the limit of my Asus motherboard, and I had to do a lot of voltage tweaking to stabilize it); and an ATi HD 6870 1GB, which was the limit of my finances.

Now that the game is optimized for dual-core CPUs and 4GB memory space, thanks to Bethesda's patches, it runs a lot better on legacy PCs than it did at launch. But if you're going to be modding the hell out of it, you're eventually going to run into a ceiling, as I seem to have done even with my higher-end GPU. I have the official HD texture pack, as well as several mods that add scenery, and I'm now down into the 20fps range in cities when on Ultra settings.

You may get better results by focusing on RAM and GPU upgrades, but eventually that older Core2 of yours is going to poop out if you are a heavy modder.

Minus2Degrees
Minus2Degrees
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the2belo/

Back to top Go down

Post  Riviter Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:09 pm

a heatsink the size of the Chrysler Building
LMAO

eventually that older Core2 of yours is going to poop out
Sighs... You are right. I will probably updrade my RAM and look for a good deal on a Video card that doesn't break the bank until I do a complete upgrade. Damn the SOTR podcast for opening up my eyes to the Skyrim PC world and pulling me away from my Xbox360 Very Happy Thanks for the reply Minus2Degrees.

Riviter
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down