What's your story Dovakiin?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's your story Dovakiin?

Post  Herxes on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 am

I rolled a fresh alt last night, I've never RP'd proper (I mean my Redguard has a "mindset" as I wrote in the Psychological Profile thread, but no real backstory)

With my alt I wanted to toe the convention of the game a little more so I've gone with a Breton woman (femme fatale) - now what I mean to say is everything in this game pretty much implies that you or the Dovakiin are a nord.

"Whoa, hold up Herxes you crazy fool?! This is madness... MADNESS!" I hear you cry "you just said you're a Breton but what, you want to be a Nord?"

Now hear me out ... Or read me out or whatever. Mjolnir Ravenhardt (yes I named her after "crusher", Thor's hammer) is a Breton, but not of Daggerfell or in a traditional sense, she is a genuine 1st generation "manmeri" born of a Nordic scout woman and an ex-blacksmith nomad from a small group of what were believed to be the last cognitive snow elves. Raised by her mother who gave up armed duty she remembers brief visits from her father and his gifts, heirlooms from her elven heritage for her 16th birthday an elven dagger named "Thor's hammer" by her mother and an elven bow named "blizzard's hand". The same birthday she came home to find Thalmor killing her Talos worshipping mother and her father's small band who had acted in her defence, she ran, she spent her time thieving to get by, slaughtering her attackers and making her way from the outskirts of Skyrim inward en-route to destroy the Thalmor before being caught up in the imperial ambush.....

Anyone else know how they wound up in Skyrim?

Herxes
Quest Newb
Quest Newb

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your story Dovakiin?

Post  Herxes on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Forgot to add she'll be primarily stealth+archery with her natural conjuration for when stuff gets "real" and when stuff gets really real A.K.A "ZOMGOPOLOUS?! Really observant draugur everywhere!" or "OMGoldilocks! Snow bears in my house WTF?!" I'm gonna draw on light armour and one hand.

Herxes
Quest Newb
Quest Newb

Back to top Go down

Sorry for the "novel"

Post  Laurphiin on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Hmm, I created a ton of characters, got rid of them once I was done with them. I started a Nord thief to complete the Thieves Guild so I can get the trophies(PS3) for completing that Guild. I was rushing through her so I got bored quickly and made a new character.

I'm planning to role-play this new guy, for the most part.

I created a Wood Elf named Laurphiin Arrow-Mist. I had a backstory for him, but it wasn't anything special. He comes to Skyrim because a rival family sent Laurphiin's family into bankruptcy and straight into the gutter. My guy left Valenwood(that's where Wood Elves are from, right?) to Skyrim because it was going to be a brand new setting.

All that Helgen stuff happens, blah blah blah.

My guy ends up in Riverwood with Hadvar. Instead of going straight to Whiterun, I'm stickin around Riverwood cutting wood and hunting. I saved a bard from a random bandit up the road near Falkreath. I talked to the townsfolk. Learned about a strange young boy seeking to contact the Dark Brotherhood. I learned of Lucan's Golden Claw, said I'd help him, but I'm waiting to do that later.

I am trying to not power-level anything. I am guilty of the iron daggers = Daedric armor style, but I'm not doing that with this character. So I'm chopping wood, hunting, crafting armor and selling it so I can get the cash to set off on some adventuring.

While role-playing this, I have to do some things that, my gf says, are really nerdy or lame. My guy eats breakfast, goes to work doing stuff, goes back to Advars' around 6pm or so, eats dinner, reads a book, goes to sleep. And I have to use the WAIT option to make it more realistic. Here are some examples:

1) eating a meal = 1 in-game hour.
2) crafting armor/weapons =
* (it depends) if it's something small(bracers, whatnot) = 2 - 3 in-game hours.
* chestplates = 5-7 in-game hours.
* helmets = 2-3in-game hours.
* swords, maces, axes = 3-5 in-game hours.
* double-handed weapons = 4-6 in-game hours.
3) reading a book = 3-4 hours.

And that makes time go buy in-game, but gives it some immersion, ya know. You can't craft armor, in real life, in 2 seconds. You probably can't craft chestplates in 5 hours in real life, I don't know/I'm assuming, but it's the best I can do.

My guy will be a one-handed/archer. No magic(Healing is an exception).

As for his personality, he's a pretty nice guy. I don't know, I wouldn't say he's me, I'd say he's a nice guy than me. He's not interested in the fighting, but he won't backdown from an enemy. Distrustful of the empire after the Helgen incident, he may find the motivation to join the Legion after he travels to Windhelm and sees the discrimination the Stormcloaks display towards elves.

Is he the hero of Nord lore that will defeat the dragons and save the world? Perhaps. Perhaps. But I plan on leaving that far down the road. I want my guy to be built up and live in the land for awhile before he finds the courage to wage war against the World-Eater.

As I said earlier, I've had lots of characters. I've played about 300+ hours of this game. So I am going for an all-out epic adventure with this latest guy. Already, I've met people I've never met before and seen things I hadn't before.
Laurphiin
Quest Member
Quest Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Herxes on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:20 pm

Wow, there's no way in hell I'd have the patience for all that waiting, it'd drive me insane, that's some uber immersion right there. I don't get to play that much, I swear I've probably spent more hours listening to podcasts and reading stuff about Skyrim than actually playing it.

I'm intrigued with the bosmer, this is my first TES game, I read earlier about people hating them because of a character in Oblivion or something. Their ability to control animals, how does that work? Are you attacked by bandits and whistle and a bear like falls out of tree or do you have to come into contact with a sabre cat and before it tries to bite your face off you say "AHEM! Hellooo wood elf" pointing to yourself and it says "oh snap, sorry, thought you were like Breton or maybe a skinny nord, my bad, want me to do anything for you?"?

Like the idea of leaving the dragons til later think I'm going to go dark brotherhood and civil war first

Herxes
Quest Newb
Quest Newb

Back to top Go down

Post  pgoon on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:15 pm

@ Laurphiin ... i really love this concept - props to you for taking it that far! I also am planning on my next character to take a lot more time with the game and no grinding ...

Her name is Eulalie (Edgar A Poe ref)... my initial concept was for her to be an imperial assassin chick, with no pity or sympathy for the enemies of her imperial employers... then I realized that the Nords had the only decent looking female skins, so I had to somehow reconcile my idea for the character with the fact that she is of nord blood... here's how that went...

Eulalie was born a Nord, at an early age her parents were brutally murdered by an clandestine thalmor group and she was brought to Cyrodiil by that same group.

In a manchurain candidate style, she was brainwashed and reprogrammed to believe that her parents were killed by early leaders of the rebellion because they did not want to betray their imperial loyalty. This was accomplished by years of fabricated experiences, repetitive memory suggestion, and intense treatments using arcane forms of illusion magic.

This resutled in a young nord girl with a burning hatred for the rebellion. She became a highly-trained imperial assassin behind her desire to rid Tamriel of the stormcloaks and their leaders.

When she her training was complete, she accepted her mission to infiltrate the stormcloaks and was planted on the carraige for Helgen. The Thalmor group represent the new dragon priests of the 4th Era, and they arranged for alduin to stop her execution so she could be rescued by the Stormcloaks and gain their favor.

How the story ends? I don't know... will she gain intel on the stormcloaks until it is time to regroup with the imperials for the civil war? Will she discover the truth about her parents along the way and turn on the Imperials/Thalmor and start killing dragons?

The other twist is that the Illusion magic she was treated with will enable the Thalmor to trigger blackouts, memory re-boots, and blind rage whenever it suits them - a weapon under their control...

We'll see how it plays out! Let me know what you think (if you got through the whole post!)_
pgoon
Quest Member
Quest Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Laurphiin on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:00 am

Ha ha, I like the cut of yer jib, boyo.

That's a pretty nice backstory. I don't put that too much effort into my characters' backstories because I know I'm going to get rid of them eventually. Your lady has a personal story that unfolds along her journey. I never considered that a serious point because I wasn't sure how to make it play out.

Well, I gave one of my guys, a High Elf mage(Kain World-Reaver), a story that was on-going. He came to Skyrim to find his sister who had joined the Thalmor, been captured by Stormcloaks, and was being hidden away and tortured. I kinda ditched the idea because where would I be able to find a High Elf female in shackles in a Stormcloak dungeon?! I wanted to set it up so he finds her, after a massive journey, only to find her completely wrecked psychologically. The only option is mercy killing. "Wracked with despair, Kain World-Reaver did pierce the heart of his beloved sister and abandoned the dungeon, now immersed in the flames of Destruction."

Destruction, like the school of Destruction. Stuff like that. But as I said, it would be hard to actually be able to play that out, so I just ditched the idea.

But then I started cataloging my characters' adventures. I got the idea from the journals you find all over the land. So perhaps I could have just made a journal of Kain's travels and then just write it in as if it actually happened. I guess that would have worked.
Laurphiin
Quest Member
Quest Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Laurphiin on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:28 am

I just realized why a character editing system(past Helgen) would be useful for role-playing.

I would want to be able to age my character. It wouldn't be very roleplay-ish because I've never even lived 3 months in-game, let alone a decade. But it would be cool, yes? Just imagine you're on this epic quest. In real life, no way would you be able to win a civil war in a week. You couldn't restore an entire Guild to its former glory, wage a dragon war, or plot to bring down an Empire in a few weeks. No.

But I'm not going to just have my guy chop wood for 5 months of real-life time just to get a year of in-game time under his belt. And I don't want to sleep 10 years or my character's in-game time away. ha ha.

But, I'd tweak him now and then. Put some grey in that red hair of his, maybe form a beard that gets longer and whiter with age.

With my Wood Elf, I want to fight the Civil War, do some random crap, defeat Alduin, and settle down as a Companion in my older years of 50(human 50, not Elf 50, which would probably be considerably older). End my character like Ezio or Solid Snake. One last Guila hoorah before I settle down and fade away into the force like Yoda.

I just need to get a solid gaming PC. I hear they can edit their characters whenever they want, but I play on PS3, so I don't see that option appearing any time soon.
Laurphiin
Quest Member
Quest Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ZipTy on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:57 pm

I gave up trying to switch my last character from fighter to mage, so I started a new mage alt last night.

My new character is a female High Elf mage named Tymeria. Before the story began she was living in a temple dedicated to healing and peace. One day she found a destruction spell book and began to dabble in "dark" magic. When the High Priest found out, she was banished and sent to Skyrim. Shortly after arriving, she was arrested and sentenced to death for attempted pickpocketing. After the attack, her soul became consumed by anger and hatred. She is now driven to perfect her powers, hoard money, and one day become Lord(Lady?) of the Dark Arts.

Tymeria first enrolled in the College of Winterhold because she needed a place to live, and she knew she could steal magic artifacts and ingredients easily. She maintains a good image within the school because it allows her to develop her powers in the open. However, she cannot maintain this image for long periods of time and frequently journeys into Skyrim in order to rob, plunder, and destroy.

The first group to taste her murderous rage was the Dark Brotherhood. After killing everyone within the Sanctuary, Tymeria absorbed all the Brotherhood's knowledge and enchanments. She stripped the sanctuary bare and sold the armor and weapons to the highest bidder, keeping only a shrouded cowl, shoes, and set of robes for herself.

No citizen of Skyrim will be able to go near shadows or darkness without fearing her presence. Once Tymeria has mastered her destructive powers she will emerge to become the most feared ruler in the land. The dragons themselves will be unable to stand up to the strength of her lightning and fire attack.

********************************************************************************************************************
Essentially my character will be a female "enraged, pre-vader, anakin skywalker"-type. I plan to work heavily with enchantment (on clothes and jewels only), alchemy, pickpocketing, sneak, and destruction magic.

ZipTy
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post  pgoon on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Laurphiin wrote:Ha ha, I like the cut of yer jib, boyo.

That's a pretty nice backstory. I don't put that too much effort into my characters' backstories because I know I'm going to get rid of them eventually. Your lady has a personal story that unfolds along her journey. I never considered that a serious point because I wasn't sure how to make it play out.

Well, I gave one of my guys, a High Elf mage(Kain World-Reaver), a story that was on-going. He came to Skyrim to find his sister who had joined the Thalmor, been captured by Stormcloaks, and was being hidden away and tortured. I kinda ditched the idea because where would I be able to find a High Elf female in shackles in a Stormcloak dungeon?! I wanted to set it up so he finds her, after a massive journey, only to find her completely wrecked psychologically. The only option is mercy killing. "Wracked with despair, Kain World-Reaver did pierce the heart of his beloved sister and abandoned the dungeon, now immersed in the flames of Destruction."

Destruction, like the school of Destruction. Stuff like that. But as I said, it would be hard to actually be able to play that out, so I just ditched the idea.

But then I started cataloging my characters' adventures. I got the idea from the journals you find all over the land. So perhaps I could have just made a journal of Kain's travels and then just write it in as if it actually happened. I guess that would have worked.

@ Laurphiin - thanks for the feedback :-) I agree it is tough when planning to end up with a character where you can't poke holes in the story.

I like using narrative to fill in gaps for parts of your story that you can't actually play out in the game. Where would you catalog that? Is there away to do that in-game or are you going to document it somewhere else (like on a forum thread...?)
pgoon
Quest Member
Quest Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top