Quest Gaming Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pros and cons of lycanthropy?

Go down

Pros and cons of lycanthropy? Empty Pros and cons of lycanthropy?

Post  Minus2Degrees Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:41 pm

So I'm in the middle of the Companions questline at a still-low level 19, and last night I advanced to the point where I gained Beast Form via the SPOILER SPOILER in the SPOILER after being invited by SPOILER. All of a sudden I ended up outside Jorrvaskr as a werewolf. Not really knowing what to do at that particular moment (I didn't see a pamphlet on the ground titled So You've Turned Into a Werewolf that I could read, assuming I still knew how to read), I just galloped around the grounds up and down the stairs to the Skyforge ARRGGH ARRAGGGH RAAOOWWRRRGH like a rabid German shepherd. I remembered that I didn't want to go into Whiterun like that, lest I incur a hefty bounty, so I stayed put until the effect wore off.

During the next part of the quest, when I entered a particular dungeon to clear out the Silver Hand (its werewolf-hating occupants), I realized that Beast Form often isn't the best answer. I initially assumed it would be similar to Berserker Rage (my Orc character's once-a-day Power Pill), but it turns out there are a number of disadvantages to fighting as a lycanthrope:

1. You can't access your menu and drink potions, or do anything to buff any further than you already are.

2. You're unarmored, so depending on the armor rating you had before you transformed, you might even be weaker defense-wise.

3. Being unarmored, you're butt-nekkid when you turn back into a humanoid, so if you're still in mid-battle when you do so, you're in danger of becoming quick mincemeat.

Initially, when I reached the boss room of that dungeon, I used Beast Form -- because hey, this is the Silver Hand and they are anti-werewolf, so wouldn't that be keeping with the storyline? I was able to kill one guy, jumping on top of him and clawing him to ribbons in a spectactular, gory kill-cam. But I was then riddled with arrows and killed. I had to reload and kill them all the conventional way, with armor and swords.

So my question here would be: Where would being a werewolf be an advantage? Am I still too low a level to enjoy this power?
Minus2Degrees
Minus2Degrees
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the2belo/

Back to top Go down

Pros and cons of lycanthropy? Empty Re: Pros and cons of lycanthropy?

Post  Minus2Degrees Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:13 am

It was just pointed out to me that the reason I died so fast as a werewolf inside the Silver Hand base was because everybody had silver weapons. I forgot that silver is Kryponite to lycanthropes. Derp!

Minus2Degrees
Minus2Degrees
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the2belo/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum