Singularity

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Singularity

Post  Minus2Degrees on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:00 pm

Here's a pointless brag post about my current character.

Last night I reached a sort of threshold, at 116 hours elapsed play time, with my melee Orc at level 34. It was a feeling of crossing over an invisible boundary, from the realm of the mere fighter to that of the ultra-badass warrior.

I have been concentrating almost exclusively on the Smithing, Enchanting, One-Handed, and Heavy Armor (sorry, forgot about that one -- Ed.) constellations up to this point. Since I have tried as much as possible to work my way up these trees without taking the advantage of exploits such as "crafting 300 quintripleskillion iron daggers", I feel it's resulted in much more satisfaction from doing these things in game. I have more of a sense of achievement.

As an example: Rather than power-smithing my way to Daedric Porcupine armor like so many people I see making YouTube videos -- it seems like it's become the "uber" barometer for many players -- I took my time. I smithed each full set in the tree as I went, experiencing all the different looks. I even smithed a full set for my follower/wife Aela. This is not as fast as the iron-dagger exploit, but I don't consider it a race (I spent 10 whole levels wearing Orcish).

Last Sunday night, at long last, I got to 80 Smithing and unlocked the Ebony Smithing perk. In anticipation of this moment, I had spent most of my cash over the last several in-game days buying up all the ebony ingots I could. So now, Aela and I are both sporting brand-new sets of ebony duds.

I like this particular set so much more than Daedric -- I look like a medieval Batman. And, as I'm about to describe, if you do it right, you don't really need Daedric to be a mega-badass. You don't even really need 100 Smithing. You just need to pay attention to enchanting and other bonuses.

You see, the armor rating in Skyrim has [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (80% physical damage protection), after which bonuses become redundant. Depending on what enchantments you add to armor and "bling" (necklaces and rings), you don't need to wear Daedric armor and look like an anthromorphic sea urchin to hit this cap. I reached it (in fact, I achieved a rating of 587) by doing the following:

- Activating the Lord Stone, boosting my armor rating 50 points (and adding 25% resist magic to boot).
- Enchanting the armor breastplate with +20 Fortify Heavy Armor.
- Enchanting a necklace with the same.
- Tempering each piece to Epic quality.
- Going all the way up the Heavy Armor constellation to Matching Set.
- Being an Orc in the first place. (+10 Heavy Armor right off the bat.)

So it came to pass, after I had beefed myself up to M-1 Abrams tank status (and using the remaining ebony ingots to make a fire-enchanted war axe called The Arsonist and a similar sword called The Black Sun), that I joined the Imperial Legion in the battle for Fort Greenwall. The place was absolutely swarming with rebel fighters, who crowded around me as I ran up a flight of stairs and into an elevated courtyard of sorts.

I stood there for a moment, as six enemies were pounding me with swords and war hammers, and four more were pelting me with arrows, and thought: I'm barely taking any damage. This was the first time I'd ever had the luxury of not worrying about my health meter at all.

I cracked my knuckles, took a deep breath, and dual-flurried through my attackers like a weed-whacker through a field of dandelions.

One other tip regarding enchanting: If you want the most powerful enchantment you can get, always make sure you have a filled Grand soul gem.

When you apply an enchantment, the amount of magical bonus is dictated by the largest soul you have in your inventory. For example, if you apply a resist fire enchantment to a piece of armor, it may give you 30% resistance if you have a Grand soul gem on you. But if you only have a Common or Petty soul gem, you may only get 3%.

Filled Grand soul gems are often for sale at traders, but buying them can get expensive if you're an active enchanter. After a couple of dungeon dives you may have several empty ones in your inventory, but the question is raised: How do you fill them? If you find a Black soul gem (or if you've done the Daedra quest that has given you the unbreakable Black Star), you can go kill a bandit for his Grand soul, because Black soul gems can trap the souls of humanoids. But Grand soul gems, or Azura's Star, can't do that -- you need the Grand soul of a creature. Draugr Death Overlords and Falmer bosses will yield Grand souls that will fit in a Grand soul gem, but these guys are hard to come by. You need to go out and hunt for something more commonly found: mammoths.

I'm not sure why Bethesda gives mammoths Grand souls, when their Giant herders only have Greater ones (it raises the question: who's herding whom?). But there are Giant camps all over, and each camp has as many as three mammoths.

Sooooooo, last night, here I was with five empty Grand soul gems and a hankering to enchant the crap out of my new Ebony raiments. I decided to raid the Giant camp outside of Whiterun, not really knowing what was going to happen -- I had never attacked a mammoth before, and I can still remember when even thinking about fighting a Giant resulted in blood-spattered scenic vistas of Skyrim from 35,000 feet.

After carefully saving my game, fearing the worst, I ran around one of the Giants for a little while, getting him sufficiently ticked off that he kited away from the camp so I could deal with him one-on-one. When I managed to lure him into an open space, I held my breath and sprinted toward him, waving The Arsonist and my soul trapper axe, The Reaper, over my head.

Aaaaaaaaieaaaaaaiiiieeeeeeaieeeeaaaaaaah! BAM!!!!

The Giant toppled over sideways with a thud, as if I had sawn his legs through with a chainsaw. The wisps of his soul blew about me in a whistling gale.

I had killed a Giant with one shot.

Holy crap.

The other giant and the three mammoths went just as easily. Bam, bam, bam. Soul, soul, soul.

It was at that moment that I realized: I had become a badass.

Cripe, what a long post. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Minus2Degrees on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Minus2Degrees
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the2belo/

Back to top Go down

Re: Singularity

Post  Mistress Lebeau on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:21 am

These are incredible tips.

I've been thinking about picking this game back up when DLC comes out & I'm PRAYING I remember the new stuff I learned from this post (especially the "hard cap" (giggity) on the armor).
Mistress Lebeau
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

http://www.facebook.com/MistressLeBeau

Back to top Go down

Post  Minus2Degrees on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 am

Mistress Lebeau wrote:picking this game back up

PICKING THIS GAME BACK UP??!?!

Minus2Degrees
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Mistress Lebeau on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:34 am

*innocent look*

What'd I do/say?
Mistress Lebeau
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Minus2Degrees on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:39 am

I was just taken aback for a moment at the thought that one could put the game down.

Minus2Degrees
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Mistress Lebeau on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:40 am

Minus2Degrees wrote:I was just taken aback for a moment at the thought that one could put the game down.
SSX came out.

'Nuff said.
Mistress Lebeau
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Minus2Degrees on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:48 am

Mistress Lebeau wrote:SSX came out.

Well, of course I'd like to play that, but I can't afford it.

Oh, wait, I thought you said "SEX".
Minus2Degrees
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Mistress Lebeau on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am

Heheheheh...

Well, it IS $20 off everywhere this week.... just sayin'.
Mistress Lebeau
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Minus2Degrees on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:54 am

(Whew, I thought I'd set myself up for a stinging retort like 'You couldn't play that, you don't have enough RAM'.)

Minus2Degrees
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Mistress Lebeau on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:57 am

Shocked
Mistress Lebeau
Quest Veteran
Quest Veteran